Keeping Your Back Safe
Back injuries are an extremely common issue in workers’ compensation cases. These injuries are typical for employees who are required to repeatedly lift heavy objects and can have long-lasting effects on the health and well-being of the injured individual. During lifting accidents, the muscles and tendons surrounding the spine can be strained in a way that may lead to physical pain and inability to continue work until the person has recovered. Understanding the dangers associated with your job may be helpful in preventing potential back injuries.
If you or someone you love has suffered a back injury while at work, you may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits. To speak to a knowledgeable attorney about your rights, contact the Raleigh workers’ compensation attorneys of Scudder Seguin, PLLC at 919-851-3311.
Tips for Avoiding Back Injury
There are many different types of work that may require you to lift heavy objects. By preparing for the potential dangers associated with this activity, it may be possible to avoid injury. Some tips for avoiding back strain include:
- Prepare for your lift- Understand the weight of the object being lifted, its destination, and any obstacles that may be in the way.
- Stretch ahead of time- Staying limber can help to keep muscles relaxed and ready for the lift.
- Rest appropriately- Taking breaks in between heavy lifts can help to prevent overuse and strain.
- Use your legs- lifting with the legs rather than the arms and back can help employees avoid unnecessary jerking or strain on the back muscles.
- Carry in front- putting the items being carried in front rather than on the side will keep muscles balanced and healthy.
If you or someone you love suffered a back injury while on the job, you may be able to claim workers’ compensation benefits. Contact the Raleigh workers’ compensation attorneys of Scudder Seguin, PLLC at 919-851-3311 for more information.