Red phosphorus explosion takes worker’s fingers

A worker for O.C. Lugo Company, Inc., a chemical distribution company located just outside of Pittsburgh, has lost some of his fingers in a blast that occurred while he was mixing red phosphorous, a chemical that is normally known to be stable.

Firefighters and chemists are unsure exactly what caused the explosion.

Another worker at the company complained of ringing in his ears after inhaling the resulting fumes. The company evacuated the building until it was sure the situation was safe and under control.

Exposure to toxic chemicals can have many harmful effects. If you were exposed to toxic chemicals on the job, contact the Raleigh workers’ compensation attorneys of Scudder Seguin, PLLC ,at 919-851-3311.